2/20/09

define: meme

After leisurely catching up on about 20 Hipster Runoff posts, I was bothered by the fact that I kept running into a word in the omnipotent Carles' writing to which I had absolutely no knowledge - MEME. I don't think I'd ever even heard it before. The "meme" is the pretty much the basis of all HRO commentary (& is branded as "The Most Conceptually Celebrated Blog in the History of the Memesphere."), so I had to look it up. Since I didn't know the definition of that word, it's likely that I fall miserably into any of the alt-categories that he blogs about, haha.

And for reference (because I asked a few people if they knew what it meant, and the response was a resounding 'no'):

  • a cultural unit (an idea or value or pattern of behavior) that is passed from one person to another by non-genetic means (as by imitation)

  • The term Internet meme is a neologism used to describe a catchphrase or concept that spreads quickly from person to person via the Internet.

  • Any unit of cultural information, such as a practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.

  • Richard Dawkins’s 1976 coinage, on the analogy to gene (with a little aid from mime and mimic), for a cultural copying unit

  • An idea, project, statement or even a question that is posted by one blog and responded to by other blogs.

  • An idea, concept, belief, thought, project etc. that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action.

Oh, and apparently the site was just hacked and it's mildly comical. Someone is very angry & taking it out on teh internetz. Angry enough to bring a gun or knife into teh internetz, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment